Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Friday, August 28, 2009

Surprising chocolate cake recipe

Today I'm baking a Green Tomato Chocolate cake for my co-workers. We were talking about it the other day and I got to thinking about it--which of course made me really hungry for it. Since I'm trying to watch what I'm eating, I decided to make one to take to work. That way, I can let others enjoy it while (hopefully) NOT EATING MOST OF IT MYSELF. There--I said it! So--I'm telling those of you at work who follow me--please, please, please eat!

I'm still walking--although not outside today. Hopefully, it will continue to help me weightwise. Also, I'm eating a lot less than I was. A small meal will fill me up now, instead of cleaning my plate. Although, I may slip today, what with cake and all. I know, I know, just walk more and faster.

On the weekends, I really don't pay too much attention to what I eat, though. Usually, that's when it's just too hard not to party.

Well, there's the timer. Now to check the cake to see if it is cool enough to frost yet. Here's the recipe for those who might be interested.

Green Tomato Chocolate Cake

2/3 C. butter
1 ¾ C. sugar
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate,
Melted
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
½ C. cocoa
2 ½ C. sifted all-purpose unbleached flour or
1 ½ C. sifted all-purpose unbleached flour and 1 C. whole wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
¼ t. salt
1 C. beer
1 C. pureed green tomatoes
¼--1/2 C. water (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350° F.
Cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the melted chocolate, then the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla.
In another bowl, sift together the cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the beer and the green tomatoes. If the batter appears stiff, add the water. Turn the batter into a greased and floured 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes. Ice when cooled.


Peanut Butter Frosting

1 lb. or 4 C. powdered sugar
½ C. peanut butter
2 T. butter
6 T. warm milk (may need a little more or less)

Mix all until smooth. You may also use more peanut butter if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment