Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 12, 2009

My Own Weight Loss Story

So, after being encouraged by both of my daughters and their own weight loss stories, I decided to join them (sort of) in their activities. Whenever I can, usually a couple of times a week, I join them in their walk. If we don't walk together, though, I still walk almost every day. During the week, I have been walking on my own at least a mile a day. I started sometime in July. My usual morning activity has now been given a walking partner for a couple of blocks. I walk my granddaughter to school (Indiana weather permitting) and continue at least 4 more blocks. Then, I usually turn and head back home, making sure I can pass my granddaughter on her post where she is a crossing patrol before school. I usually can get an extra hug from her and her friends before heading furthur down a couple of blocks past my house. Then, I turn around and head for home. My goal is to walk at 3.1 miles once a week.

I also walk after lunch. On the days when I work, I walk indoors around the perimeter of University Park Mall. That way, I can also window shop while I walk. This satisfies (sometimes) my shopping gene. Of course, I can also stop for lunch if I want. If I do this, lunch is usually soup from Barnes and Noble or the kiddie portion from Panda Express. I can even eat the hotdog kiddie lunch from Dairy Queen (which includes a kiddie portion of ice cream).

Of course, if I'm really lucky, my activity is increased at work because I am on my feet all day at Macy's. This usually happens during a sale day when "weight lifting" is part of my routine. For example, yesterday I loaded a 45-piece set of china on a dolly and took it down to customer pick-up. This, of course, was not conducive to a happy lower back (insert groaning noises here), but I was able to do it. On top of all the other package pick-ups I did, I got a pretty good workout.

I must say, all of this activity has definitely paid off. Although I don't really follow a diet, I do try to watch what I eat (don't want to miss the mouth) and I must admit I drink A LOT of water. The water helps because (of course) we finally have Summer this week. I have lost a total of 14 pounds as of yesterdays weigh in. I celebrated w/ a lot of ice cream and a weight watcher's pizza topped off w/ a wine cooler.

This means I will definitely go back to regular portions and a lot of physical activity today, even though I am not working. It's ND Football day and I am going to enjoy watching my first TV game today.

1 comment: